Have you ever needed to move data from a local database to the cloud? Or even just between different databases? Heroku Postgres might be just the tool you need to help with all of your data migration needs. Read on to learn how you can utilize Heroku Connect to migrate data between Heroku Postgres and Salesforce.
Table of Contents
- What Is Heroku Postgres?
- What Is Salesforce?
- What Is Heroku Connect?
- Using Heroku Postgres to Migrate Data
- How Integrate.io Can Help
What Is Heroku Postgres?
Founded in 2007, the Heroku platform is a managed SQL database service. The Heroku Postgres database is an open-source SQL cloud database running on PostgreSQL. Through the Heroku Postgres database, applications can be created inside containers, known as "dynos" in the Heroku system. Every container or dyno within the Heroku system can support any of the following programming languages:
The Heroku Postgres database is used by many developers as it provides an accessible way to build, scale, and maintain databases without having to worry about infrastructure. Another draw for developers is the Heroku Postgres database's powerful tools, such as Forks, Followers, and Dataclips.
- Forks: Heroku Postgres allows for the forking of a database, which means a database can be cloned with a single command.
- Followers: Through the followers tool on Heroku Postgres, the process of setting up and maintaining replication of databases is simplified and made easy to stay up-to-date with all changes.
- Dataclips: The dataclips on Heroku Postgres allow for the creation of reports against live production data.
Related Reading: The Complete Guide to Using Heroku Postgres
What Is Salesforce?
Founded in 1999, Salesforce is one of the oldest cloud-based software companies in the world. Today, Salesforce is known as the world’s #1 CRM platform. CRM or Customer Relationship Management has become increasingly important in recent years. Overall, the Salesforce platform helps with the following:
- Providing businesses a place to store customer data
- Allowing businesses a platform to track customer interactions
- Giving businesses the ability to view data in action
- Provides businesses with the tools to make collaboration among colleagues easier
Related Reading: Salesforce Data Migration: Best Practices & Strategies To Make It Successful
What Is Heroku Connect?
In 2010, Salesforce acquired Heroku. However, to enjoy the benefits of both platforms and seamlessly migrate data between the two, a Heroku-Salesforce connector is required. This is where Heroku Connect comes into play. Heroku Connect is an add-on that is used to synchronize data between Salesforce and the Heroku Postgres database.
Essentially, Heroku Connect is a data integration service that allows developers to build specific applications used to control their Salesforce data. Ultimately, Heroku Connect is what allows for the migration of data between Heroku Postgres and Salesforce. Discover more about using Heroku Postgres to migrate data below.
Related Reading: Demystifying a Heroku Salesforce Connector
Using Heroku Postgres to Migrate Data
To migrate data between Heroku Postgres and Salesforce using Heroku Connect, you will first need to set up Heroku Connect. Take the following steps to set up Heroku Connect:
- Create a Heroku App and Heroku Postgres Database: You will need to create an empty app and attach Heroku Postgres to it. The first step will be to open the Heroku dashboard, click New in the upper right, and select “Create New App.”
- Provision the Heroku Connect Add-on: Next, you will need to select the app you want to attach Heroku Connect to. Once there, select the “Resources” tab and search for Heroku Connect in the “Add-ons” section. You will then need to select a plan and click the “Submit Order Form” button.
- Provision a Logging Add-on: You will then need to provision a logging add-on for your application as Heroku Connect produces logs of its sync activity. Once again, you will need to open the Heroku Dashboard, click on the “Resources” tab, search the “Add-ons” section, and click the “Submit Order Form” to provision the logging Add-on for your application correctly.
- Configure the Connection: Once the steps above have been completed, you will need to configure the connection. To complete the configuration, choose a Heroku Postgres database that is attached to your application. Then choose the Postgres schema to be used for the tables created by Heroku Connect. The default will be “Salesforce.” You will then choose to authenticate to a production or sandbox Salesforce org, selecting the Salesforce API version you want Heroku Connect to use. Once the Salesforce API is selected, it can’t be undone. In order to change the API version, you will need to go through the process again, recreate the connection, and then change the API version.
- Set Up Mappings: Finally, after you have authenticated your Salesforce org, you can begin mapping objects. Simply select “Create Mapping” on the overview tab in the Heroku Connect dashboard.
Once your Heroku Connect add-on has been set up, you will be able to begin migrating data between the Heroku Postgres database and the Salesforce platform.
How Integrate.io Can Help
While Heroku Connect is an efficient way to migrate data between the Heroku Postgres database and the Salesforce platform, the migrating of data can be made effective with the incorporation of an ETL platform, such as Integrate.io. The integration between Integrate.io and Heroku Connect can help to improve the flow of data between Heroku Postgres and Salesforce.
Are you ready to discover how the integration of Integrate.io and Heroku Connect can help with your data migration needs? Contact our team today to schedule a 14-day demo or pilot and see how we can help you reach your goals.